Sissonne et la première guerre mondiale
Situated on invasion routes during conflicts in the 19th and 20th centuries, Sissonne has a painful history. Successive land expropriations between 1895 and 1914 led to the creation of the military camp of Sissonne. The town was repeatedly invaded and occupied in 1814, 1870-71, 1914-18 and 1940-44 and during all those instances was forced to pay requisitions and war contributions. In 1918, the retreating Germans made a stand in Sissonne on the Hunding line, leaving the town deserted and in ruins. Sissonne was later decorated for its efforts.
L'église St Martin en 1919.
The church of St Martin in 1919.